Thursday, June 28, 2012

Traffic Light Frittata

In my spare time when I'm not baking, solving the world's HR problems or trying to at least be a semi-decent country housewife, I am the lucky (or some may say unlucky) person in charge of the Health and Wellbeing program where I work. All I do is organise events, programs, guest speakers and put out a regular newsletter and to be honest, I really enjoy it, in a short time we have achieved some really positive things like a communal fruit bowl and regular walking groups and we although we have only had one guest speaker so far, we have a few more lined up with some really interesting topics like vehicle ergonomics and how to read and understand food labels at the supermarket. Anyway, to try and keep it interesting I always include some different things in the newsletter like facts, tips, cartoons and, of course, recipes and I also make sure each edition has a different theme - for example our last one was Vehicle Safety so the recipes I included were  Traffic Light Jelly CupsTuna Traffic Light Kebabs and a Traffic Light Frittata! 

I am going somewhere with this, trust me. 

Several nights ago Mr B and I set out to Mum and Dad's for our regular weekly dinner and as usual Mr B had spent all day trying to find out what we were having with no success - he likes to know in advance if we are having something lentil / tofu related so he can fill up on 'normal' food during the day! When we arrived at Mum and Dad's look what we were met with........


The Traffic Light Frittata! 

I always give Mum and Dad a copy of the newsletter I put out so they know I do more then just drink coffee and harass the staff at work, so I was really pleased when they decided to make one of the recipes out of it for dinner. And I know what you're thinking - sometimes frittata's can be eggy and average and highly un-exciting, but believe me with this one you will be pleasantly surprised - for a little frittata, it is packed full of flavour! 

All you will need is:

1 red capsicum (diced)
1 zucchini (grated)
1 sweet potato (diced)
6 eggs (whisked)
1 onion (diced)
2 cups baby spinach
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 cup reduced fat grated cheese

Pre-heat oven to 170C and grease a quiche / oven dish

Saute capsicum, spinach, sweet potato, garlic and onion in a frypan with a small amount of olive oil.

Scatter mixture over the base of your quiche / oven dish. 

Mix zucchini, eggs and cheese together. Pour over the vegetable mixture and cook for 25-30 mins or until golden and set. Serve with boiled spuds and / or salad and enjoy!

On a side note, we are now entering a week of baking madness.....let me show you how my week looks:

Tonight (Thursday) - Chocolate cake for work tomorrow
Saturday - Hot chocolate cupcakes for RSPCA Cupcake Day donations, Cinnamon Roll Muffins and a Blueberry Blondie Cheesecake Slice for Mr B's lunches
Sun / Mon - Spectacular pool cake for the blog's 2nd birthday
Wednesday - Date cupcakes with rum frosting and toffee sauce for RSPCA Cupcake Day donations

Chocolate Cake - Check!

Wow!!! RSPCA Cupcake Day has come around quick! Just like last year I am making a batch of cupcakes for anyone who donates $20 or more and I'm really happy that only 2 days in I already have my first 2 donations. This year I am hoping to raise over and above last year's total of $500 - it can totally be done. Plus I have been promising Mr B cinnamon roll muffins for his lunches for a long time now and it's about time I came good...but then I found an awesome recipe for a baked cheesecake slice topped with a blueberry blondie and it was just too tempting to pass up so I'm making that too....and the blog's 2nd birthday is fast approaching and that requires a birthday cake...I looked at fancy cakes and pretty cakes and scary meringue things and then I decided maybe I was getting too tied down in doing something big and fancy. I have always always always wanted to make a pool cake like this one out of the Women's Weekly Children's Birthday Cake Book so that is what I'm going to do - with a few of my own twists added along the way! 


So much baking!!  But for right now I think I'm just going to enjoy sitting in bed with my cup of tea and my 100's and 1000's freddo and not think about it! 

Hope you are all having a fantastic week

Mrs B xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...