Monday, June 25, 2012

Pineapple and Coconut Slice

See I told you I wouldn't make you wait long! 

It all started a few days ago when Mr B and I were at the supermarket. I was scouring the dried fruit section looking for my 'go-to' mix of mango, blueberries and cranberries but alas they were all out, so I hesitantly asked Mr B if he would eat dried apricots in a slice...the look he gave me was enough to know the answer was not so much 'no', but 'hell no'. Just when I was about to give up and buy him a jam roll off the clearance table, he piped up with a very meek 'but I do like dried pineapple....' 

It wasn't until I got home and thought about it that I realised I wasn't entirely sure what to do with dried pineapple. A quick google search only gave me a million web sites on how to make dried pineapple or how to make dried pineapple flowers, which looked fascinating, but not quite what I was after. Luckily Mr B had gone to a poker game for the evening so I had plenty of time to figure it out. 

I was thinking slice and I was thinking pineapple and coconut so I decided to have a play around with a recipe for Almond Slice (obviously minus the almonds) and you know what, it turned out pretty good! 


For the base you will need:

1/2 cup brown sugar
125g butter (melted)
1 cup plain flour

Pre-heat oven to 160C. 

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and press into the bottom of a lined and greased slice tin. Bake for 12- 15 mins.

While that is baking make your topping...

For the topping you will need:

1/4 cup milk
90g butter 
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
1/3 cup brown sugar
200g dried pineapple 

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and microwave for 3 minutes, stirring half way through. Give it a good stir and microwave for a further 60 seconds. 

Pour over the cooked base and put back in the oven for 10-15 mins. 

When it is done, let it sit on the counter to cool before you try and slice it.

This slice is so yummy, with it's brown sugar shortbread base and chewy pineapple and coconut topping, it doesn't matter if you have it hot out of the oven with some whipped cream or straight out of the fridge, it's delicious either way! 



Mrs B xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...