Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Great Choc Chip Cookie Debate

I am not perfect.

I am aware of this.

I have some small quirks...some might even say I'm slightly odd...

For example...

I like the top halves of muffins, not the bottom half....

But I prefer the bottom half of hot cross buns, not the tops....

I have my heater on even in summer and I will guarantee that when you're sweating and stripping off, I'm adding layers and complaining about the cold...
I have savoury food like brown rice and vegetables for breakfast...

After years and years of swimming lessons when I was younger, I still can't swim...

And if I bake something and it fails or doens't come out how I wanted, I have to make it again as soon as humanly possible until I get it right, I literally find it hard to sleep until this is done.

So yesterday when I wanted to make some chewy chocolate chip cookies to use up our leftover easter eggs (I know, I told you I was odd) I found a recipe on the net and went for it. The result was not the thin chewy cookies I was after, don't get me wrong, they are still delicious, but they are kinda cakey...chewy, but cakey.

Last night I tossed and turned. I got up this morning, I looked in the container, they hadn't changed...I poked at a few of them, I broke a piece off and tried it (at 7am mind you) but nope, still the same. It crossed my mind to have the day off so I could get started on the next batch straight away...but no that would be silly...wouldn't it? I did some research on the net and when I got home from work I dropped my bags and got straight into it.

And when they came out of the oven...ohhhh like little rays of sunshine breaking through the cold and miserable day...they were thin and golden and after 10-15 mins when they had cooled down, they were soft and chewy and perfect!

But don't let my opinion cloud your judgement...what do you think...soft cakey ones on the left, thin chewy goodness on the right...


Now some recipes...

The Soft Cakey Choc Chip Cookies
125g butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup caster sugar
2 large eggs
1 tspn vanilla extract
1.5 cups plain flour
1/2 tspn baking soda
250g chocolate chips

Beat the butter and sugars until creamy. Add in eggs one at a time and beat until well combined. Add vanilla.

Sift in flour and baking soda. Mix until well combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

Roll tablespoons of the mixture into balls and place on a greased baking tray. Flatten slightly with the back of a fork. You will get about 7-8 per tray. I think I ended up with 21 all up. Bake for 10-12 mins or until just golden.


And The Thin and Chewy Choc Chip Cookies
125g butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
1/2 tspn bicarb soda
1/4 cup honey
2 tbspn maple syrup
200g choc chips

Melt the butter, honey, maple syrup and brown sugar together.

Stir in flour, bicarb, coconut and 100g of the chocolate chips (they should melt through your mixture).

Let the mixture cool for 15 mins in the fridge. Stir through remaining choc chips.

Roll tbspns of the mixture into balls and place on a greased baking tray. Flatten with the back of a fork. These ones will spread so only 6 per tray. I got 18 out of this recipe.

Bake at 150C for 10 mins, they will be very soft when you get out of the oven, but they will firm up once you get them out.


But let's be honest, any choc chip cookie is a good choc chip cookie! I just prefer mine thin and chewy, how do you like yours?

Happy Baking!

Em x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...