Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Chunky Chocolate Ginger Slice

Do you ever have those days where you just need to remove yourself from everything?

Of course you do.

Everyone does.

And yesterday I had one of those days. Normally when I get home from work I put my bags in my room, make my lunch for the next day, go for a walk or put my pjs on, do some chores and get dinner on the go. But not last night. Last night I got home from work, left my bags at the front door and headed for the kitchen. I didn't bother getting changed, I didn't bother doing anything I would normally do, I just wanted to bake. And bake I did. I was in that kitchen for 3 hours straight and the time flew. I didn't feel rushed, I wasn't flustered, it was just me and my cooking and I was so peaceful.

One of the goodies that came out of the kitchen last night was a Chunky Chocolate Ginger Slice


I doubled the recipe and made half in cupcake form to take to work and half as a slice (easy for OH and my Dad to take to work).

The end result was a gorgeous dense ginger cake and whilst initially you do get a bit of a chocolate hit they do leave you with that beautiful gingerbread taste in your mouth. I think maybe next time I would go with slightly less chocolate and more ginger though, although that could just be because at the moment I have a cold and my taste buds have desserted me...

For this delicious slice you will need:
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup golden syrup
100g butter
2 eggs lightly beaten
1/3 cup milk
100g white choc bits
100g dark choc bits
1 cup self raising flour
1 cup plain flour
2 tspns ground ginger

Pre heat oven to 160C fan forced and grease and line a slice tin.

Combine butter, brown sugar and golden syrup in a jug and microwave for 30-40 seconds until all ingredients are melted together. Set aside to cool.

In a bowl combine choc bits, flours and ginger.

Once butter mix has cooled, add eggs and milk and stir to combine. Pour over dry mix and stir well.

Pour the mixture into prepared slice tin and bake for 25 mins.

Now don't you feel relaxed? Like the weight of the world has been lifted off your shoulders? Don't you love just losing yourself in your cooking? I know I do.

Now sit down with a cup of tea and a piece of chunky chocolate ginger slice fresh out of the oven (coz you just know the chocolate bits will be all melty and gooey) and put your feet up. Go on. You deserve it!

Em x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...