Saturday, October 12, 2013

Frozen Tiramisu

Last week when we made our fortnightly journey over to Mum and Dad's for dinner it was a cold, wet, windy and generally miserable evening.

All of a sudden it was like being back in the middle of winter rather then the early throws of spring and I have to say that whilst I like lying in bed listening to the rain falling outside as much as the next person, I do not like having to go out in it one little bit.

So walking into Mum and Dad's wet and severely wind blown, I was all set to get my grumpy on but then Mum put a plate of her vegetarian shepard's pie in front of me and all was right with the world again. This was one of my favourite meals when I lived at home and still is today.


Content with my happy belly I didn't really think much about what we would be having for dessert.

That was my first mistake.

Mum and Dad and Mr B and I have been having this dessert war for months now with no sign of it easing up and when Mum put this Frozen Tiramisu on the table I knew the bar had been raised.


My first clue really should have been when I phoned Dad the night before and he answered the phone with a frenzied 'I can't tell you what we're cooking for tea tomorrow night!'

 ........Ok, well I was only ringing to say hello?

Anyway, yes, FROZEN TIRAMISU!!

It was creamy and chocolatey and coffee-ey and amazing!


Frozen Tirzmisu - Serves 10-12

3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup strong black coffee
135g caster sugar
1 cup water
4 egg yolks
250g mascarpone
300ml thickened cream whipped
10-12 savoiardi  biscuitd
75g dark chocolate grated
Extra grated chocolate to serve

Grease a 1 litre loaf tin with cooking spray and line the base and sides with plastic wrap.

Place the brown sugar and coffee in a small saucepan over low heat and bring to a simmer. Once sugar has dissolved set aside to cool completely.

Place the caster sugar and water in a separate saucepan over high heat until it reaches 120C on a candy thermometer. Place egg yolks in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until foamy. Whilst the mixer is still running, gently pour in the sugar syrup and beat for 6 minutes or until cooled to room temperature. Fold in the mascarpone and cream.

Dip 1/2 of the biscuits into the coffee mixture and arrange in the bottom of the prepared tin. Spread over 1/3 of the mascarpone mixture and sprinkle with 1/3 of the grated chocolate.

Repeat the layers of mascarpone and chocolate and finish with the remaining biscuits soaked in the coffee mixture.

Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 6 hours or overnight. Remove the loaf from the tin and serve immediately sprinkled with extra grated chocolate and whipped cream.


And I couldn't resist cutting my piece in half to get this shot of the inside!

Enjoy!

Mrs B xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...