Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Carlton Dessert

Now you may remember a few weeks ago Mum and Dad whipped up this old family classic - the flummery.

Well at that time Mum told us about her favourite version of this dish which was the 'plain flummery' and supposedly tasted like ice cream.

In my head I was thinking 'pffffft yeah right, how could the plain version taste like ice cream' and actually imagined it having very little taste whatsoever.

But then Mum and Dad dished up the 'plain flummery' last night and I am telling you it was anything but 'plain' not to mention it tastes just like the creamiest vanilla ice cream you could ever imagine.

Cue me being super impressed and Mr B and my Dad demolishing several serves each.....

I will definitely be making this one myself....and not sharing it with anyone!!


Mum and Dad served their flummery up 'trifle' style with layers of blueberry jelly, blueberries and whipped cream.

Carlton Dessert (ice cream flummery layered with blueberries, jelly and cream!)

1 x 375ml tin of full fat evaporated milk
1/2 cup caster sugar
2 tspns gelatin dissolved in 1 tbspn boiling water
Vanilla essence
300g fresh or frozen blueberries
600ml thickened cream, whipped
1 pkt blueberry jelly made up as per packet directions

Using an electric mixer, whip the evaporated milk until thick. Add the gelatin, sugar and vanilla essence and beat gently to combine.

Pour into your serving dish to set.

(Personally I could call it quits here and eat this entire flummery on it's own all by myself. It is just out of this world divine!)

Once the flummery is set, top with diced blueberry jelly. Scatter half of the blueberries over the jelly and top with half of the whipped cream. Repeat with remaining cream and blueberries.

Serve and enjoy!!



However one thing still troubled me - I couldn't for the life of me figure out why Mum kept calling this delicious creation the Carlton Dessert......

I thought it was maybe the original name for it or some fancy dessert I had never heard of.

Turns out it is actually much simpler then that.

When Mum chooses to follow football (which is very VERY rarely) she barracks for Carlton, who's colours happen to be blue and white......

Mrs B xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...