Sunday, October 20, 2013

Curried Lentil, Spinach and Mushroom Twist

So it appears I have temporarily lost my baking mojo.

Yesterday I settled in for a day of pumpkin inspired baking which I tend to do around this time each year and I have to say I was really looking forward to it. I had my pumpkin puree ready to go, Mr B was working outside for the day, it was just me and my kitchen.

First off I decided to make my Mum's famous pumpkin muffins.....they came out of the oven flat and pancake like.

Secondly I made my Pumpkin Loaf.....it came out of the oven looking a little over cooked on the outside but still appeared under cooked in the middle.

Thirdly I made Mr B some pumpkin muffins with a maple cream cheese filling and a streusel topping.....I don't even want to tell you how awful these came out.

I mean honestly this is just not on.

The week was not a total right off though because I did manage to make this Curried Lentil, Spinach and Mushroom Twist and it was damn tasty! The addition of the mango chutney is a must and even lentil hating Mr B was impressed!


Curried Lentil, Spinach and Mushroom Twist - Serves 4

2 sheets shortcrust pastry
1 tbspn olive oil
1 onion finely diced
250g swiss brown mushrooms, finely diced
800g canned lentils, drained
150g baby spinach leaves
1.5 tspns curry powder
2 tbspns mango chutney plus extra to serve
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
Salt and Pepper to season
Milk for brushing

Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.

Add the onion and mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 3-5 mins.

Add the lentils, spinach leaves, curry powder and chutney. Season with salt and pepper and cook for a further 3-5 mins or until onion is cooked and spinach wilts. Set aside to cool.

Preheat oven to 180°C and lightly grease a baking tray.

Place the two sheets of pastry on the prepared tray, overlapping about 4cm and gently press together to seal.

Arrange the mushroom mixture in the centre of the pastry leaving a 7-8cm border on all sides and sprinkle with the grated cheese.

Using a sharp knife, make cuts in the pastry on the long sides surrounding the filling at 2cm intervals.

Start by bringing the ends of the pastry up to enclose the filling and then bring alternating strips up and over to enclose completely.

Brush with a little bit of milk and bake for 30 mins or until golden. Serve with extra chutney and steamed greens.


Enjoy!

Mrs B xx

1 comment:

  1. Oh I know those days. Sometimes I can't even do a microwaved meal if I wanted too, but last creation looks like an absolute success.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...