Saturday, May 18, 2013

Cheese Crackers

Earlier in the week, I realised Mr B was out of savoury goodies for his lunch box. I wanted to try something different to the usual pizza scrolls and cheese puffs so I set about making this recipe I had seen for Cheese Crackers. The only thing I will suggest is making a double batch....or at least be prepared to make them twice, possibly three times a week, they are that good.

You see I made the first batch on Monday night thinking they would last Mr B for the remainder of the week.

When I took them out of the oven, I gave him one to try. That was my first mistake. I only just managed to salvage enough for the following day's lunch.....the rest were eaten fresh out of the oven within about 10 minutes. In between mouthfuls he told me they were super awesome and tasted just like Cheds....

On Wednesday I made the second batch and stood guard in the kitchen until they had cooled enough to be hidden right up the back of the cupboard. So far so good....


To make these Cheese Crackers you will need:

60g butter, softened
1/2 tspn salt
2 cups grated cheese
1 cup plain flour
3 tbspns water

Combine the butter, salt and cheese in a bowl.

Add the flour and mix well.

Slowly add the water, 1 tbspn at a time. Mix well after each addition. When the dough forms a soft ball, it's done. Place in the fridge for 30 mins.

Pre-heat oven to 180C. Line and grease two baking trays with baking paper.

Divide the dough into 2 portions. Roll each portion out between 2 pieces of baking paper until it is 1/8 of an inch thick (roughly 1/3 of a cm) but you don't have to be exact.

Cut the dough into squares roughly 2.5 cm in diameter. Use a toothpick or skewer to poke a hole in the centre of each square.

If you want to you can sprinkle herbs or seasoning before baking. We did one tray with smokey paprika and they were yummy!

Bake for 13-17mins or until puffed and golden. Allow to cool on trays before removing and store in an air tight container


And here is a few shots from our day out fishing last weekend. We had the Friday off work and when we woke up it was a beautiful sunny day so we decided to make the most of it. We jumped in the car and drove to Cremorne which is only probably 45mins drive from our place and found a beautiful (and desserted) jetty to set ourselves up on.


We spent the majority of the day here, fighting with the crabs and the rays, soaking up the sun and just relaxing.


Plus we caught a salmon which was lovely grilled with some lemon oil and mint from our garden for lunch the following day!


I never thought I would be much of a fishing person, but I do enjoy spending quality time with Mr B and getting outside in the fresh air. It's very peaceful and very relaxing which is what all weekends should be!

Mrs B xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...