Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Mum's Tomato Chutney

It's that time of year again....home made tomato chutney time!!!

Now I have never made tomato chutney before, my Mum always makes it and she makes enough to last her and Dad and Mr B and I all year round. It's like having your own chutney exchange station, we take our empty jars to Mums and she sends us home with full ones. But alas, this year Mum and Dad had to forfeit their chutney making duties due to living in a caravan while they wait for their new house to be built.

That left only one option....it was time to step up to the plate and accept the chutney making challenge!

Upon reading Mum's old recipe....I decided I didn't like it, no one wants to buy 8kgs of tomatos, boil them and peel them....so I tweaked it a bit...and because I didn't know how it was going to turn out I decided to make a half batch, but then I discovered I had an abnormally small pot so it kind of turned into a third batch!


What you will need is....

2.4 kgs of tomatoes, skins removed (cheat note - you could use 3 x 800g tins of peeled italian tomatoes for this....)
750g diced onion (also as a cheat, feel free to use frozen onion)
2 tbspns curry powder
2 tbspns mustard powder
1 tbspn salt
1/2 bottle Ezy Sauce
1 kg sugar
1/2 cup plain flour

Begin by combining the tomatoes, onion, salt and sugar in a large heavy based saucepan. Bring to the boil.

Combine the mustard powder and curry powder with a small amount of water to form a thin paste and add to the tomato mixture.

Pour in the Ezy Sauce and stir to combine.

Allow the mixture to simmer covered for around 2 hours, stirring fairly regularly or it will stick to the bottom and burn!

About 10 mins before the end of the cooking time, combine the flour and a small amount of water to form a thin paste and stir through the chutney. If you don't combine the flour with the water first, you will end up with white floury lumps through your chutney - trust me I know!!

Our house has been filled with the delicious smell of chutney ever since and believe me there is nothing quite like home made chutney on toast with melted cheese...or a fresh ham salad roll with home made chutney or hot zucchini pancakes with home made chutney....basically anything is better with home made chutney...did I mention scrambled eggs with home made chutney?!?! Oh my god!!!

Using the above recipe I got 7 standard sized jars which should last us a little while, and at least using tinned tomatoes I can have fresh home made tomato chutney all year round!!

Mrs B xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...