Sunday, October 9, 2011

75 Cupcakes and 1 Cake Later......

And we finally have a decision on our wedding cake!

A Raspberry Yoghurt Cake with Vanilla Yoghurt Buttercream!


Raspberry Yoghurt Cake
¾ cup of vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 cup thick raspberry yoghurt (I used Dairy Farmers Raspberries and Cream)
1.25 cups caster sugar
2 cups self raising flour

Pre-heat oven to 180C.

Combine the oil, eggs, yoghurt and sugar in a bowl and stir to combine.

Add the flour and beat with an electric mixer until smooth.

Pour the mixture into a greased tin and bake for 35 mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Once the cake has cooled, frost with vanilla yoghurt buttercream.

Vanilla Yoghurt Buttercream
120g softened butter
1.5 cups icing sugar
3 tbspn full fat vanilla yoghurt

Cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer.

Add the yoghurt and beat until smooth and creamy. You may need to add more icing sugar to reach your desired consistency.

This cake was exactly what I have been looking for. It was moist yet dense whilst still being melt in your mouth light and the raspberries and cream yoghurt paired with the vanilla yoghurt buttercream is just the most gorgeous combination....I know yoghurt in a buttercream might seem a touch odd and I know yoghurt in the cake and the frosting might seem like yoghurt overload, but the yoghurt tones down the richness of the buttercream and really is the perfect partner for this cake.

So there you have it, over the last 12 months we have made numerous batches of cupcakes and even a cake trying to find a flavour combination we would be happy to serve at our wedding, I have made our parents and work mates trial them over and over, but each time there was just something missing, they were nice cakes but nothing that really grabbed us...but this cake ticked all the boxes....unique, delicious, simple to make, not too sweet, sickly or rich, something I would be proud to say I made and proud to serve up at our wedding. It's been a long and often very frustrating road, but the end result was well worth it!

And it's only 3 months to go till the big day now, I can't believe how quickly the time is going. 3 months till I'm a wife, 3 months till I walk down that aisle in my big poofy dress and look into the eyes of the man I love. I hope he looks at me in that moment and feels as amazing and as nervous and as terrified and as happy as I am going to. It's going to be one of the biggest and most memorable moments of our lives and I can't believe it's right around the corner....

Em x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...