Sunday, October 16, 2011

Savoury Omelette Stack

Well it is a wet and miserable day here, it's windy and rainy and generally horrible. I spent the morning lazing around in bed with my coffee and a monster size bowl of fruit and yoghurt but as much as I tried to avoid it, I had to go out in the hurricane and buy some vegies to plant this week and try and track down the last of the wedding decorations...I was so happy to get home and put my pjs back on!!

And on a day like this you just want to come home and have a nice dinner that is not only fast and easy to make, but tasty and different too! So when I came across this recipe during the week whilst searching for something to cook for Mum and Dad when they came over for dinner, I knew I was on a winner!


Savoury Omelette Stack

9 eggs
1 zucchini (diced)
2 spring onions (finely chopped)
2 capsicums (roasted with skins removed)
1 tspn crushed garlic
2 tspn crushed wet herbs (I used a combination of garlic, parsley, thyme and rosemary)
1/2 tspn crushed chilli
200g extra light cream cheese
Salt and Pepper
1/2 cup grated cheese

Now the night before I was going to serve this, I roasted the capsicums - pretty easy, cut them into quarters and place them on a baking tray skin side up and roast at 200C for about 1/2 hr until the skin is all wrinkly. Once they have cooled down you will be able to take the skin off. Then just pop them in the fridge till you're ready to use them :)

Pre-heat oven to 180C.

In a large bowl, add the eggs and season with salt and pepper. Whisk well to combine and set aside.

In another bowl, add the philly and mixed herbs and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.

In a frying pan over medium heat add your zucchini, spring onions, garlic and chilli. Cook for 5-10 mins or until softened. Allow the mixture to cool slightly before adding to the eggs.

(Now I used my pancake maker at this step but you could use a fry pan just as easy) Spray a small frying pan (or your pancake maker) with oil. Use roughly 2 tablespoons of mix for each omelette. Cook until the egg is set and they are lightly golden. If you are using a fry pan you will need to flip them after a minute or so.

Now I got about 8 omelettes out of this mix so I made 2 x stacks of 4. To assemble your stacks, place 1 omelette onto a baking tray and spread with some of the cream cheese mixture. Top with another omelette and spread with more cream cheese. Once you have 4 omelettes in your stack, spread the top one with cream cheese, sprinkle with grated cheese and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Repeat this to make your second stack.

Back in the oven for 10-12 mins until the cheese is melted and golden.


Can I just say yum!!!! I also think these would be awesome with a bit of tomato salsa in between the layers with the cream cheese as well :)

This post is also being featured over at Veggie Mamas Meatless Mondays
Em x

1 comment:

  1. Oh what a clever idea. Mr Fussy has recently been requesting omelettes, so this would make a perfect meal and be much better for making sure the egg is cooked all the way through. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...