Thursday, September 29, 2011

Perfect Pecan Pie

So I finally dragged myself out of the kitchen and crossed some things off my TO DO list....

....I cleaned out my wardrobe and said goodbye to 6 (SIX!!!) pairs of beloved shoes

....I cleaned out an old chest of drawers and got it ready to be sold therefore making room for our new bedroom suite

....I did battle with the wheelie bin and put it out for collection in the morning

....I put on my secretaries hat and did some of OH's paperwork for his business because he is away

....I uploaded a tonne of clothes and shoes and bags and furniture onto the net to sell

....and I gave myself permission to cook this pecan pie as a reward for all my hard work!

Now I have never even tasted a pecan pie before let alone made one, so not only did I have no idea how to make one, I had no idea what it should taste / look like either!

As it turns out, Pecan Pie is dead easy to make and dead easy to eat (so easy in fact I would go as far as to call it dangerous....)

Look a pyramid of pecan pies!

Note that I made 1 big pie, 6 mini pies and had more then enough mixture left to make the scrolls at the bottom of the post so you could easily make 2 pies with this recipe :)


Pecan Pie

2 shortcrust pastry flan case (I used the Pampas one)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup golden syrup
1/4 cup maple syrup
100g butter
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups (185g) pecan nuts

If you are using frozen flan cases, pop them on a tray in the oven for 10 mins at 180C while you prepare the filling.

Combine the brown sugar, golden syrup, maple syrup and butter in a saucepan or microwave safe dish. Cook over low heat or microwave for 90 seconds - 2 minutes, stirring regularly until sugar has dissolved.

Remove from heat (if using stove top) and add the eggs and vanilla. Whisk quickly to avoid eggs cooking. Once mixture is well combined pour into a jug.

Arrange nuts over bases of pastry cases and pour over the caramel. Bake for 45-55mins or until set. You can cover the pie with foil during baking to prevent burning if necessary. You will know the pie is set when a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. It should appear firm but still have a slight jiggle to it. You can serve the pie fresh out of the oven with a dollop of thickened cream or you can serve it at room temperature - either way it's delicious!!


And seeing as I had roughly 3/4 cup of the caramel filling and some pecans left over, I decided to make these Caramel Pecan Pinwheels.

Even easier then the Pecan Pie, all you need to do is spread one sheet of puff pastry with half of the caramel mixture. Sprinkle with the pecans and roll up into a log. Cut into 2cm sections. Pour the remaining caramel into a baking pan and arrange pinwheels cut side down. Bake at 180C for around 25-30 mins or until puffed and golden. Once they are cooked, alow to cool for 5 mins and invert the pan onto a plate, this will allow the gooey caramel sauce to drizzle over the pinwheels.


1 recipe...2 awesome dishes!

Em x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...