Sunday, September 18, 2011

Moroccan Chicken Pies

My goodness....I have been slack haven't I! Well never fear, I'm here! And I have a handful of posts up my sleeve so I promise I'll be quite chatty over the next few days!

Earlier this year, OH and I visited a local bakery and tried a Moroccan Chicken Pie....it was damn near the best pie we had ever eaten. So, as you do, we set about trying to re-create this delicious dish at home.

The pie is filled with a moroccan spiced mix of chicken, tomato and pasta and then the whole lot is topped with a layer of cheese before the lid is put on and it is baked in the oven...mmmmm cheesey moroccan chicken goodness!!!


Oh and we had ours with some mushrooms chips the other night! They are easy, just chuck some sliced mushrooms in the oven on 180C with some salt and pepper for about 25-30 mins, giving them a stir occasionally and they will be nice and crispy and delicious by the time your pies are ready!


Mmmmmmmmmmmmm I couldn't resist, I had to get a photo of the inside, plus I'm a shocker for eating my pie lid seperate to my actual pie.....

Have I convinced you yet??? These pies are a good idea, they are awesome, they will excite your taste buds and delight your nostrils...and possibly burn your tongue....

I made 2 pies in ramekins with this recipe so I just put pastry over the top of the dish before baking, but I have also 6-8 pies in the pie maker with the same recipe if you wanted a proper pie or say if you wanted to keep them in the freezer or make them for lunch boxes :)

Moroccan Chicken Pies
300g chicken breast (diced)
1 x brown onion (diced)
2 x sticks celery (diced)
2 tspns Moroccan seasoning
400g tin diced tomatoes
50g dry pasta
grated cheese
puff pastry (1 sheet if making in ramekins or 4 sheets if making in pie maker)

Cook your pasta in the microwave or on the stove top as per packet directions. Drain and set aside.

Pre-heat oven to 180C (fan forced)

In a fry pan over medium heat, add your onion, celery and spices. Cook for 2-3mins or until spices are fragrant.

Add the chicken and cook for a further 4-5 mins just to seal on the outside.

Add the cooked pasta and diced tomatoes. Allow the mixture to simmer for 10-12 mins, stirring occasionally so it doesn't stick to the bottom.

Grease 2 x ramekins. Spoon pie mixture into ramekins. Top with grated cheese.

Cut a piece of puff pastry big enough to cover the top of your ramekin and slightly hang over the edge. Place pastry over pie and brush with melted butter, egg or milk (doesn't really matter which, just whatever is easier for you at the time!)

Place the ramekins on a tray and bake in the oven for around 15 mins or until pastry if puffed and golden.

Enjoy :)

Ohhh and look what I got done this week! I went to get my nails done as a trial run for the wedding....although I should point out we are not having teal nails with purple foil at the wedding but I thought while I was there, why not get something sexy! Anyway, I had them done with shellac so no fake nails, just some mighty tough nail polish and apparently they should last for around 3-4 weeks before I need to get them re-done. Helllloooo sexy nails!!! Now is a good time to say that super sexy nails do increase your risk of injury due to inadvertently walking into walls / doors / inanimate objects whilst admiring said nails.....


Well I better go because I'm just about to go out to dinner and I'm currently sitting in my nice warm bed with my pjs on...not sure how the restaurant would feel about me rocking up in my pjs and dressing gown but I'm willing to give it a try!

Em x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...