Saturday, August 20, 2011

Gingernut Snaps

I am just starting to realise something, something I'm not sure I'm happy about...

I used to leave work on Friday nights with a spring in my step, eager to get home and doll myself up and head to the pub for a few drinks, some dancing and a late night which would evidently result in an empty wallet and a sore head. It would appear that sometime in the last few years I have started to leave work, tired, eager to get home and put my pyjamas on, my mind wanders...not to the drinks I will have or the people I will meet, but what I can cook when I get home. Kind of like a celebration that the week has ended and the weekend has begun...but I am still not sure when baking rather then drinking became my relaxation technique.....although I must say it's not all bad, I much prefer to come home, put my pjs on, cook something delicious and spend the evening curled up on the couch with OH then come home, dress up, go out, get drunk, come home, put my deep fryer on and wake up with a ridiculous hangover!

Anyway, last night when I got home I decided to make some biscuits for OH's lunches. I had a flick through the AWW Sweet Old-fashioned Favourites cook book and found the perfect recipe!


Gingernut Snap Biscuits

90g butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup golden syrup
1 1/3 cups plain flour
3/4 tspn bicarb
1 tspn ground cinnamon
1 tbspn ground ginger

Pre-heat oven to 150C. Grease 3 baking trays.

Combine the butter, sugar and syrup together in a bowl. Microwave for 40-60 seconds or until everything is melted together.

Add the remaining ingredients and stir well to combine.

Roll tbspns of the mixture into balls and place on the trays 2-3 cms apart. Push the balls down with the back of a fork....this is not only effective, but it makes them look pretty too!

Bake for 10-12 mins and then let the biscuits cool on the trays for 15 mins.

Ohhhhhh is there anything better then a biscuit that is crispy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside?? These biscuits are sort of like a hybrid between a crisp gingernut snap and soft and chewy gingerbread men....and let me tell you...it's the perfect combination!

While these were in the oven I also made some pikelets and some beef and mushroom sausage rolls...but the fun doesn't end there - currently we have hard pretzels baking in the oven....I can't wait to try them because they smell delicious! Stay tuned later in the week for the recipe!

And guess what I did today!! I took my lil bike out all on my own, I got up early this morning while OH was in bed, put a liberty bell in each pocket and got the bike ready to go! I only went maybe 10 mins up the road and back but it was my first ride on the actual road with noone watching me or following me, it was just lil ol me! It felt great, all the stress and the panic whilst I was learning finally paid off...I mean I'm not quite ready to hit the highway and head for Sturgis just yet...but I'm getting closer!

Hope you are all having a fantastic weekend

Em xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...