Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Blueberry Bliss....

Well I spent this morning shacked up in the hospital having an iron infusion, it wasn't too bad, I got to put my feet up, snuggle up in a warm blanket and read a book for the day because my blood pressure was very low but when I did get up and walk around pushing my little drip stand, I don't know, I just felt like everything was in slow motion, like I was actually very sick, something about having the drip stand made me feel very fragile. I have been home for a few hours now having a rest, my head is a bit fuzzy but otherwise I'm not too bad :)

Anyway, over the weekend I made some raspberry cupcakes and I made a lemon frosting to go with them, but I got a touch carried away with the frosting and made way way too much. So there I was with a bowl full of lemon frosting and I needed to come up with something to go with it pretty damn quick! After much deliberation I had a light bulb moment...blueberries! Blueberries and lemon go great together and I have never made anything with blueberries in it before, not to mention OH it quite partial to them. So that was it, case closed.

I made a basic vanilla cake and folded through about 500g of frozen blueberries. I poured most of the mixture into a cake tin and made 6 cupcakes for OH's lunches with the rest.

The smell that came out of the oven was just gorgeous and when we broke open a fresh cupcake, drizzled it with lemon frosting and eagerly dug in, it didn't disappoint. The vanilla and the blueberries were such a great combination and the lemon just tied it all together beautifully.


Nakey Cake


Fully Frosted Cake - imagine that in the middle of the table filled with plump fresh blueberries!!


And last but not least....the lil cupcakes :)

To make the Blueberry and Vanilla Cake you will need:
200g butter
1 3/4 cups caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
4 eggs
2 3/4 cups self-raising flour
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 180°C and line 24 muffin pans with patty cases.

Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla bean paste with an electric mixer.

Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until just combined.

Add the flour and milk and beat until just combined.

Spoon mixture evenly among the patty cases. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Now for the frosting I just combined icing sugar, lemon juice and about 2 tbspns of lemon curd until I got a nice thick spreadable consistency but retaining that slight lemony flavour :)

Happy Wednesday!!

Em x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...