Friday, June 24, 2011

Easy Chocolate Fudge Cake

I have been making this recipe for years. I first found it in a Kid's Cookbook given to me when I was little and it became a family favourite because it was so easy and so delicious! Whenever Mum or I had an occasion that called for a cake, we made this and we used to always make it in a fluted tin, fill the centre with raspberries or blueberries or both, dust the whole thing with icing sugar and serve with some whipped cream.


(Can you tell I got a new cake tin!?)


But it wasn't until I went to make it last night for work today that I realised the recipe has no eggs, no milk and no butter, I mean it always stood out in my mind for having oil and vinegar in it, but I never really noticed that those ingredients I normally consider a staple in cake making weren't there!

The moral of my story is that even without those ingredients this is still a soft, moist, fudgey flavoured cake that is just delightful. I decided to ice it rather then decorating it with the berries and icing sugar. Now I kind of wish I had though because they do give it that really classic old fashioned baking look that I love :) Luckily it still tastes just as good with a big dollop of cream!!


Easy Chocolate Fudge Cake
1.5 cups self raising flour
3 tbspns cocoa
1 cup caster sugar
1 tspn vanilla
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tbspn white vinegar
1 cup water

Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a fluted cake tin.

Combine all the ingredients and beat with the electric mixer until well combined.

Pour into tin and bake for 35-40 mins or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.

Now the icing I made had about 1 cup of icing sugar, 1 tspn of strawberry essence, a dash of lemon juice, 100ml of sour cream, a tbspn of butter and 2 tbspns of cocoa in it. These quantities are not exact but I combined it all with the electric mixer going off taste and texture until I was happy with it. Then I refigerated the icing until the cake was cool enough to spoon it over. The icing had a subtle chocolate flavour paired with a hint of strawberry and a slight tang from the lemon and the sour cream, it was a fantastic combination that didn't take away from the flavour of the cake at all, it actually all went together really well :)

So I know it has all been about the recipes lately and not so much about me, so let me give you the 5 minute update....OH and I have had our ups and downs but are now back in wedding / honeymoon planning mode, we are getting married in January and looking at having a 'minimoon' around Tassie for a week and then going on a honeymoon to Ireland, Italy and France in May. We have been taking my lil bike out every weekend so I can get more confident on it and hopefully I will be able to hit the road soon. I am back into the full swing of jewellery making and next week I will post a shameless self promotion post that shows you where you can view the full range and / or purchase if you feel that was inclined :)

And that my friends, is me :)

Happy Friday :)

Em x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...