Sunday, September 2, 2012

Happy Fathers Day!

Today has been a lovely day. The sun has been shining and the company has been fantastic and now I'm sitting on the couch with a full belly and Mr B curled up next to me asleep and I'm pondering whether to cook raisin toast for dinner or just to serve up rice cakes with tomato and cheese!?  All the signs of a great Fathers Day!

The one thing my Dad wanted more then anything for Fathers Day this year was to spend the day going for a bike ride with Mum, Mr B and I. Thankfully it was also the second day of Spring and the cold weather eased up enough to let the sun, and the warmth, shine through.

Mum and Dad arrived at our house early this morning and Mr B had runny eggs and crispy bacon on buttery toast on the table for him and Dad in record time! Mum and I tried some avocado and tomato on toast and whilst I have never been a fan of avocado, the last few times I've tried it, I've been quite partial to it - maybe I am growing up after all!

A Fathers Day tradition in our house is to go and visit the graves of Mr B's father, Dad's father and Mum's father. Sometimes in the hustle and bustle of every day life it's easy to overlook these things and I am a big believer in remembering people as they were, but I also believe it's important to visit, especially on days like today. It makes me so thankful to still have my Dad with me.

Our next stop was an old favourite - the Riverview Inn. We used to go here for lunch alot when I was younger and it was good to see the meals were still as big and as delicious as always! Dad had the tried and true chicken parmy, I had salt and pepper squid, Mum had oven baked mushrooms stuffed with pesto and feta and Mr B had the chef's special - oven cooked chicken breast topped with prawns, scallops and squid in a cheesy sauce!


After such a big lunch, we needed to walk it off! So we headed up to a place called Soldier's Walk. Soldier's Walk is a memorial walk with more then 500 plaques recognising local men who lost their lives during war, and along the walk you take in some of the most picturesque views of Hobart. But that's not the best bit, the best bit, and the reason we were there today, is that my Dad played a huge roll in planting all the trees at each memorial plaque and looking after the area so he was able to give us a guided tour today!

                                      

Then four tuckered out people headed home for a relaxing drink, more laughs and, of course, presents!!


One of which was a whole batch of this Peanut Butter and Corn Flake Slice that Dad had picked out of a recipe book of mine a few months ago. I had a little bit of it the other day when I made it and my goodness was it good! Crunchy, chewy, peanut butter and chocolate heaven! And this is how you do it..........


Peanut Butter and Corn Flake Slice

You will need:

125g butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/3 cup light corn syrup or glucose syrup
2/3 cup crunchy peanut butter
4 cups corn flakes
375g milk chocolate

Line a 20cm x 30cm slice tin with baking paper and lightly grease.

Place the butter, sugar, syrup and 1/3 cup of the peanut butter in a large microwave safe bowl. Heat in 40 second bursts on high until sugar is dissolved. Heat for a further 60 seconds and stir to combine.

Gently stir in the corn flakes. Spread mixture into pan and press down firmly. Now place the remaining 1/3 cup peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl or jug and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Pour over the corn flake mixture. Refrigerate for 30 mins.

Place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat in 40 second bursts, stirring in between, until melted and smooth. Pour over the corn flake mixture and place back in the refrigerator for at least an hour before cutting.

Happy Fathers Day Dad!!

Mrs B xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...