Sunday, January 22, 2012

Cheesy Salami and Pesto Muffins

My quest is finally over....

For several years now I have taken a battering for being almost without a doubt the cause of Mr B's diabetes, high cholesterol and future toothless-ness....now let me just say that Mr B is perfectly healthy...., this is all more like 'one day when I get diabetes, it's going to be your fault' kind of thing, but usually these complaints are made while he has a mouthful of fresh brownies so I try not to pay too much attention. In my defense however, I have offered to make him mini quiches to take to work but he has issues with eating cold cooked egg, I've offered to make savoury muffins but he pulls faces, I've tried making several savoury loaves (and some semi-savoury but he just won't come at it.

So earlier this week I was making these muffins to take into work and thought I would make a few mini ones for Mr B in one last effrt to find something he would eat...now granted he hates pesto so the odds were against me...but when presented with one smothered in butter fresh out of the oven, he not only took it, ate it, but asked for one in his lunch the following day! Now part of me wanted to dance around and pull faces and remind him that they are basically everything he dislikes, but part of me realised it was best to just shut up and be thankful!


These really are very easy to make and great lunch box treats - I think the butter is definetly optional and personally prefer them without it.

All you will need is:

50g salami thinly sliced
50g fetta crumbled
1/2 cup grated cheese
90g (roughly half a jar) of basil pesto
50g semi dried tomatoes diced
2.5 cups self raising flour
1.5 cups milk
100g butter
1 egg
1 tbspn caster sugar
1/2 cup oil

Pre-heat oven to 150C. I got 12 standard size muffins and 12 mini muffins out of this recipe so depending on what size your making, grease the appropriate trays.

Melt the butter and sugar together in the microwave (say 30 seconds on medium heat)

Whisk the egg into the milk and combine with the butter.

Pour over the self raising flour and mix in the oil. Stir in the salami, tomato, fetta, cheese and pesto. The mix will be very thick, but only stir until everything is just combined.

Drop tablespoons of the mixtue into muffins trays. Bake for around 20 mins or until golden and a skewer inserted comes out clean.

These can be served warm or cold with or without butter, but I highly recommend trying one straight out of the oven!!

Hope you are all having a fantastic weekend :)

Mrs B x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...