Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Savoury Goodies

I like a good sweet nibble as much as the next sugar addict, but sometimes you just want little savoury nibbles you know? Usually when you have OD'd on sugar and need something to bring you back to Earth....or sometimes it's just nice to give your guests some variety!

So the other night I had a play around with some stuff in the fridge and we ended up with this selection of delightful little goodies.....


These mini savoury pumpkin rolls were very easy and are a great vegetarian treat for lunch boxes or your party guests

I just cooked up 1/4 of an onion (diced) with 300g of mashed pumpkin. Stirred through 1 egg (beaten), 60g of reduced fat feta (crumbled) and 40g of semi dried tomatoes (chopped). Then I had one sheet of puff pastry which I cut in half. Then I spooned half the mixture down one length of the pastry and rolled up to seal. Repeat with remaining filling and pastry. Using a sharp knife cut each roll into four (but don't cut all the way through - this way they will be easy to snap apart when cooked). Brush with melted butter or milk and place on a lined baking tray. Bake for 15-20 mins or until pastry is puffed and golden.


Now when I had done these I realised I had some semi dried tomato, feta and onion left over so what better to do then make a Savoury Lamb Roll for OH's lunch tomorrow. I cooked the onion up with 200g of lamb, a tspn of allspice and a tspn of crushed garlic. I mixed through 1 egg (beaten) and around 30g of diced semi dried tomatoes and 40g of crumbled feta. I folded two sheets of filo pastry in half and spooned the mixture evenly down one length, leaving a 2 cm gap at the short edges. Then I rolled it lengthways to enclose the filling and folded the edges in underneath. Brush with egg wash or melted butter and cook for 15-20 mins or until golden. Got the seal of approval from OH and the smell was just devine!


And last but certainly not least, these Pumpkin, Feta and Semi Dried Tomato Rice Frittatasthat will delight your taste buds and your nostrils! (Sounds weird I know, but don't judge....bake them yourself and see!!)

300g pumpkin cut into small cubes
1 onion finely diced
1 zucchini grated
1 carrot grated
70g semi dried tomatoes diced (try and soak as much oil out of them as possible - wrap them up in paper towel for around 30 mins prior to use)
1 cup cooked rice
2/3 cup grated cheese
Salt and pepper
1 cup self-raising flour
4 eggs
60ml oil
160g reduced fat feta cheese, crumbled

Pre-heat oven to 170C (fan forced)
Cook the onion and pumpkin in a fry pan over medium heat until pumpkin is soft and onion is tender.
In a bowl combine all other ingredients and stir well to combine. Add pumpkin and onion and stir again.
Spoon mixture in greased muffin pans (I got 24 mini muffins and 9 medium muffins out of this recipe).
Bake for around 15-20 mins for mini muffins and 30-35 mins for medium muffins.

And then let your senses enjoy the ride!!

I know I was on a slight feta and semi dried tomato kick but you all understand right? If you don't now, you will once you've tried some of these!!

Em x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...