Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Hunza Pies and Vegetarian Stir Fries!

Hehehe that title kinda rhymed...god I'm easily amused....Wow, this week is flying by, but personally I don't mind, I'm exhausted! The doctor's are playing around with my iron tablets and have upped my dosage from 30mg a day to 600mg a day! Iron Man eat your heart you! It's making me slightly queasy and I'm still buggered but I spose it takes a lil while for them to kick in. I am also cooking like a woman possessed which I am loving :) I got asked to cater for a big board meeting at work this weekend and on top of that one of the ladies we work with had an accident and broke her shoulder a few days ago so the other ladies in the office all chipped in and I'm going to make 3 or four different dishes to tide her and hubby over. I am seriously thinking about doing my hospitality certificate so I can work as a cook, not a chef, a cook, I think that is what I would like to do because honestly I get so excited at the chance to cook / bake / make something. I just need to find a way to do the course part time if they will let me coz most of them seem to be Mon - Fri but unfortunately that won't pay the mortgage you know?

Anyway, moving on to what we are all came for - The Hunza Pie! Slight twist on the original here though as most versions of this dish I've seen don't involve mince but due to my iron issues and OH's vegetarian issues we decided to try this one!

5 sheets fillo pastry
1 onion diced
350g lamb mince
1 tspn crushed garlic
2 tspns allspice
500g spinach
1 cup of cooked rice
1/2 cup of grated cheese
3 eggs
Melted butter or milk for brushing

Pre-heat oven to 180C (or 160C fan forced) and grease one large baking dish or four individual ones.

Cook spinach in the microwave for 2-3 mins and when it cools, squueze out all the excess liquid.

Cook onion and mince in a fry pan over medium heat. Once the onion is transperant, add the garlic and allspice, cooking until the mince is browned and the spices are fragrant.

Combine mince mixture with cooked rice, cheese, spinach and egg.

Line your baking dish(es) with the fillo sheets. If you are using individual dishes, use one sheet per dish. Spoon the mixture into the dish(es) and fold the pastry down over the top. Brush with milk or melted butter. Bake for around 20 mins or until pastry is golden. Serve with salad or steamed greens :)

And while I'm here, let me show you the gorgeous vegetrarian stir fry OH whipped up the other night - just some capsicum, zucchini, carrot and spring onion cooked up with hoisin sauce and some sliced up omelette mixed through - pure heaven!


And some lil white mint chocolates I made using a mould I got for Christmas and totally forgot about! I love them!!



Hope you're all having a fantastic week :)

Em x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...