Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Luck of the Irish!

Last night I found myself home alone. OH has gone intertstate for a family emergency. So armed with some lamb I needed to use and my trusty AWW Cookbook, I decided that on a cold blustery winter's night (hello what happened to spring!?) I would make myself some Irish Stew. Keeping in mind I don't love lamb so I was a bit hesitant going into this dish, but the end result was absolutely delicious. I only cooked with fresh thyme for the first time on the weekend and I had to use it in this dish too, you can really notice it and it adds so much flavour, I am now a fresh herb convert!



Irish Stew

500g diced lamb - the recipe actually said 1kg of lamb neck chops but that was pushing it a bit for me.
2 carrots
1 large parsnip (bout 350g)
1kg potatoes
2 onions
2 sprigs thyme
1 tbspn worcestershire
2 tbspns tomato paste
3.5 cups beef stock

Preheat oven to 170C
Dice all your vegetables, I left mine chunky because it's a rustic homestyle stew.
Layer vegetables and lamb in a heavy based casserole dish and cover with liquids.
Place stew in the oven with lid on for 90 mins, checking every half hour. It is ready to serve when the lamb is tender and the vegies are cooked.

All it really needed was a crusty fresh bread roll to mop up the sauce....but seeing as I have another 3 nights of it, I have plenty of time to try it!

As I am writing this I have just got some cheese and vegemite scrolls out of the oven and I'm waiting for some pineapple jelly cakes to finish baking...but more on those tomorrow!

I'm off to try some pole dancing to keep warm, it's actually snowing here!

Em x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...