Thursday, July 29, 2010

Cheese, cheese and more cheese!!


How good does that look?? Doesn't it just make you want to dive in an see whats underneath that golden top layer!!

Ok getting a bit ahead of myself here, we ended up going to Mum and Dad's on Wed night because on Tues night I came home from work and OH was asleep on the couch with a severe case of man flu (this is starting to become a weekly event!). I love going to Mum and Dad's for tea because no matter what Mum makes, it reminds me of home. I love my Mum's potato bake, her pumpkin soup, her chow mein, her vegetarian curried sausages, even her suprise quiche's are always delicious. My Dad doesn't cook alot but he does a mean bbq, a heavenly chocolate mocha pudding and he can whip up any flavour loaf of bread you want...just don't ask him to make your sandwiches for school. And lately Mum has been going all out, trying to cook something new and different when we go there for tea, and if you have been reading this blog you will know that my Mum is a basic meals kinda person, chicken and vegies, quiche and vegies, so seeing her cook all this new and different stuff and the look on her face when she conquers a new dish, I am very proud of her! I also love having my Mum and Dad up here for dinner because I like the opportunity to try new vegetarian dishes and I don't know I spose I want to see them enjoying something that I cooked if that made sense? But really I just like spending the time with them, it's nice to know that once a week no matter what they will come here or we will go there.

Anyway, slightly off topic, last night we walked into a flurry of activity in Mum and Dad's kitchen and were swiftly told to remove ourselves to the dining room so we didn't see what was being made. Whatever it was it smelt delicious and I was starving when it came out. I soon found out it was Baked Ricotta and Fetta with Roast Vegetables...pretty much exactly what it says it is, ricotta and fetta combined with some roasted eggplant and capsicum (but you could use any roast vegies) baked in the oven for 20-30 mins or until the top is a beautiful golden colour. Then you can top with some grated cheese and chopped cherry tomatoes and put back in the oven until the cheese is all melty and fantastic. You can serve it in little ramekins or you can make it in one big dish as above and serve it like this:



Did I or did I not say it looked awesome! And my Mum is working on her portion sizes and the amount of cheese she puts on things because I have been trying to lose weight and because Dad has an obsession with checking the fat content on everything, I know that hasn't been easy for her, but she has come a long way! Anyway, off topic again, we had this with a pizza base drizzled with some balsamic vinegar and topped with some cheese before being baked in the oven. You could also use pita bread or pita crisps or just nice crusty bread because you really need something to scoop up all that baked cheesy goodness.

After dinner the boys retreated to the lounge room to indulge in some tv and car magazines while Mum and I gossiped away in the kitchen. They also let me borrow their bread maker whilst I was there and I am really looking forward to trying it out over the weekend. Plus we got some cadbury coconut rough chocolate for the road : ) Mum and Dad have always had a tupperware container full of various fun size chocolates and blocks of chocolate as long as I can remember. Often for dessert Mum would get a block of chocolate and give us a few pieces each before putting it away again...oh i loved that chocolate container - the only problem was she always knows exactly whats in it so you can't pinch anything! Which reminds me, next time I'm there I will take a photo of Mum's chocolate jar for you...you won't believe it.

So tomorrow we will have an update on the Sweet and Sour Meatballs that OH is currently cooking in the kitchen (the recipe is suspiciously similar to the Ragu he cooked last week but with sweet and sour sauce lol but it smells fantastic) and hopefully maybe...all things going to plan...my first loaf of bread!!

Em x

1 comment:

  1. That looks delish! My mum has been experimenting with lots of vego foods since I made the switch. She comes up with some rippers! :o)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...