Monday, January 27, 2014

Oven Baked Fajitas


Do you know what makes today excellent?

Aside from the fact that I woke up this morning because that is certainly always a bonus....

No, today is excellent because not only is it a Monday and I'm not at work because yesterday was Australia Day and therefore today is a Public Holiday but it has also been a stellar weekend where I have managed to tick everything off my to do list and then some. Believe me that does not happen very often.

I spent Saturday in the kitchen making some cheddar cheese, some ricotta and doing some baking for Mr B's lunches before giving the house a good clean. Then on Saturday night I went to my friend's house for a catch up and to try on my bridesmaid dress for her upcoming wedding before coming home and watching movies with Mr B until the wee hours of the morning.

Yesterday Mr B and I had been invited to an Australia Day BBQ with some good friends of hours so we spent the day there relaxing and catching up....well OK I did, and Mr B helped install some solar panels on their roof, but he enjoyed it and afterwards he got to relax and eat all of their steak so we called it even.

And finally today I have been getting myself organised for the week ahead by making some egg noodle dough and chocolate meringues for dinner tomorrow night and cauliflower alfredo sauce for dinner later in the week. It doesn't sound like much but a few hours work today will save me oodles of time I always feel like I don't have when I get home from work......

Speaking of easy mid-week meals, we tried these Oven Baked Fajitas a few days ago and it never ceases to amaze me when things are so simple to make but so full of flavour. Plus I absolutely loved the freshness from the lime and the capsicums in this dish. Definitely a new favourite for us and I am very much looking forward to trying a vegetarian version in the next few weeks.


Oven Baked Fajitas - Serves 4

For the seasoning you will need
1 tbspn mexican chilli powder
1/2 tbspn paprika
1/2 tspn crushed garlic
1/4 tspn cumin
1 tspn sugar
1/2 tspn salt
1/2 tbspn corn starch
1 tbspn tomato paste

For the fajitas you will need
1 brown onion
2 green capsicums
1 red capsicum
400g chicken breast
1 tbspn oil (I used a lime infused oil but regular vegetable oil would be fine)
Lime juice
Tortillas and Sour Cream to serve

Preheat the oven to 200C.

Combine all of the seasoning ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

Thinly slice the onion and capsicum into 1 cm strips and place them in a bowl. Slice the chicken breast into 2 cm strips and add to the bowl. Add the seasoning and the oil and mix with your hands to ensure everything is well coated.

Transfer the vegetables and chicken to an oven proof dish and bake for 35-40 minutes, stirring half way through. Once done, drizzle with 1-2 tbspns of lime juice.

Serve with tortillas, sour cream and extra lime juice.

Note - You could just as easily make this vegetarian by replacing the chicken with 1 cup of corn kernels and 2 thinly sliced zucchini.


Enjoy!!

Mrs B xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...