Saturday, July 28, 2012

Mixed Berry and Oat Slice

It is a rainy Saturday morning here, Mr B and I were up early in between showers to feed the lambs and then we jumped back into bed with a cuppa and some fruit toast and watched the rain roll in across the property. It was all snuggly and peaceful and lovely.....and then I kicked Mr B outside to do some work, while I stayed here to write in the blog....ahhh the joys of being able to work from the comfort of a warm bed! 

Anyway, earlier in the year when Mr B and I were on our mini-moon, we stopped at a local honey farm and I may have got a touch excited with the variety of products they had available. You could get honey in every flavour you could imagine, strawberry, raspberry, caramel, lime, cajun, chocolate, mocha....it was all happening. At the time I showed next to no restraint, made at least 3 trips to the register and we came home with an abundance of honey including vanilla, raspberry, lime and cajun honey....some honeycomb...and a beeswax lipbalm. Fast forward nearly 6 months and we have sampled them all, but we still seem to have alot of honey in our cupboard and as with most things that sit in our cupboard for more then a month, I have been eyeing off the raspberry and the lime versions to use in some baking. I think the lime one would make a beautiful coconut and lemon slice, but for the meantime, I had berries on my mind! 

I wasn't sure how it would work out, like if you would notice the raspberry honey in this slice, but it just lends itself to a beautiful subtle flavour that I think works really well - and of course if you don't have access to raspberry honey, normal honey will work just fine. 


Berry Oat-y Slice

125g butter
2-3 tbsp of raspberry honey
1 cup self-raising flour
1 cup desiccated coconut
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup dried fruit (I used a mix I found at the supermarket of strawberries, cherries, goji berries and sultanas)
1/4 cup skim milk
1 egg

Preheat oven to 160 (fan forced)

Line a slice tin with baking paper.

Place butter and honey in a small bowl or jug (microwave proof) and heat in 45 second bursts until melted and combined. Sit aside to cool slightly.

Combine flour, coconut, caster sugar, oats and berries in a bowl.

Lightly beat egg and milk and add to dry ingredients, along with the butter mixture. Stir to combine.

Press the mixture into the pan using the back of a spoon.

Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden. Allow to cool and then remove from pan and slice. Store in an airtight container in the fridge or in the cupboard.

Mrs B xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...