Friday, July 4, 2014

Nan's American Pudding

You all know by now that we are big dessert eaters.

So it may surprise you to read that on a day when I skipped breakfast, scoffed down a salad roll that was in desperate need of some cheese and inhaled a bowl of tuna curry for dinner, I am sitting in bed, patiently waiting for Mr B to get home so that we can have dessert together. It has crossed my mind several times that h is lucky I love him (and that the bed is warm and I am fully aware the rest of the house is freezing) or he would be coming home to a snoring wife and an empty tub of ice cream on his side of the bed.

Anyway, whilst I wait we may as well fill the time in by doing the next best thing, talking about dessert!

Mum tells me that my Nan used to make this recipe, called 'American Pudding' all the time when she was younger and whilst you can use any stewed fruit you like, the version Mum remembers uses apricots.

This pudding was a big hit when Mum and Dad re-created it for us last week. I just love the simplicity of it and the fact that it is a classic old-fashioned dessert - the best kind in my book!


Nan's American Pudding - Serves 4-6

3 eggs
1/2 cup caster sugar
5 tbspns self raising flour
115g butter, melted
800g stewed fruit (this particular version used apricots)

Pre-heat oven to 175C and spoon the fruit into the base of an oven proof dish.

Beat eggs and sugar using an electric mixer for 10 minutes.

Add the flour and butter and mix until you have a smooth batter.

 Gently pour the batter over the fruit.

Bake for 20 mins. If the pudding starts to brown abit too much, cover with foil.

Serve with plenty of custard, cream and even a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Enjoy!

Mrs B xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...