Thursday, April 25, 2013

Chickpea Burgers with Sweet Potato Chips and Garlic Maple Yoghurt Dipping Sauce

At this particular point in time I'm sitting on my couch, with Mr B's dressing gown draped around my shoulders, heat pump blaring and listening to the wind and rain howling outside.....oh and I'm getting organised to go on a camping trip.

Yep - Mr B and I thought that considering today is ANZAC Day and we have tomorrow off we would make the most of the 4 day weekend by heading off to the North of the State on a great camping adventure. To be honest we planned this trip about 6 weeks ago and didn't take into account the weather whatsoever. Nevermind, I'm actually still really looking forward to it - although I'll be packing every thermal, beanie, scarf and jumper I own!

This week I've been looking at lots of camping friendly foods so burgers have kind of been at the forefront of my thinking and I have been hanging out to make this recipe for Chickpea Burgers for a long time! Unlike alot of vegetarian burgers I've tried, these ones were packed full of flavour (and texture - there is nothing worse than a veggie burger that is gluggy and sticks to the roof of your mouth!). Plus chickpea hating Mr B didn't complain once!


Chickpea Burgers - Serves 4

1 onion, finely diced
2 tspns crushed garlic
2 x 400g cans of chickpeas, drained
1 cup cooked brown rice
2 tbspns lemon oil (or 1/4 cup lemon juice)
1-2 tspns crushed wet thyme
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/3 cup plain flour
4 bread rolls to serve
Cheese, Beetroot and Avocado to serve

In a frypan over medium heat, cook the onion and garlic in a little bit of oil for 5-7 mins or until onion is cooked.

Place all ingredients, except flour, in a food processor and process until just combined. You still want some texture in there so don't over process it.

Shape the mixture into 4 patties and dust with flour. Allow to rest in the fridge for 30 mins.

Heat a small amount of oil in a frypan over medium heat and cook the burgers for 4-5 mins on each side or until golden.

Serve in rolls with cheese, beetroot and avocado.


I found this recipe for Garlic Maple Yoghurt Dipping Sauce a few weeks ago and Mr B and I tried it on some sweet potato burgers. Personally I could have eaten the whole bowl of sauce on it's own, it was so more-ish I just loved it. I thought the subtle flavours of the maple and garlic got a bit lost when we had it with the burgers, but I had no doubt it was perfect for dunking some sweet potato chips in!

Sweet Potato Chips with Garlic Maple Yoghurt Dipping Sauce

500g sweet potato, peeled and cut into chips
200g greek yoghurt
2 tspns maple syrup
1/2 tspn crushed garlic (possibly 1 tspn depending on your preference)
Salt and Pepper to season

Pre-heat oven to 160C. Place the sweet potato in a single layer on a baking tray and cook for 20 mins.

Meanwhile, combine the yoghurt, maple syrup and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Place in the fridge until your ready to use. Play with the maple and garlic flavours abit to suit your preference but generally you should get a hint of garlic and a hint of sweetness from the maple syrup.

Remove the sweet potato chips from the oven and lightly spray with oil. Place back in the oven for a further 20-30 mins or until they are cooked.

Serve with Garlic Maple Yoghurt Dipping Sauce.

Enjoy!

Mrs B xx

2 comments:

  1. Hi Emily! Just found your blog via Veggie Mama's Meatless Mondays. One can never have enough chickpea burger recipes, and yours looks amazing! I love the way you've sliced that avocado too – so simple but I've never seen it before! Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa! We have been on a search for a delicious home made veggie burger recently and these ones were hands down awesome! I always slice my avocado like that - maybe I'm abit weird, but it works! Em :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...